A California Couple Fundraised Over $20 Million on Facebook to Help Reunite Families Separated at the US Border

In mid-June, a couple in Silicon Valley, California, launched a Facebook fundraiser to reunite separated immigrant families. Now, that fundraiser has surpassed its initial $1,500 goal 10,000 fold, having raised over $20 million in what is now the most viral fundraiser in Facebook’s history.

Like many Americans over the last several weeks, Charlotte and Dave Willner were shocked into action over the separation of families crossing into the US on foot, with children being detained separately from their parents. And with so many charities to choose from, the Willners opted to do something to specifically help reunite the parents and their children separated by ICE border agents by raising funds for the immigration legal support organization, RAICES.

“I just could not imagine not finding a way to welcome those families and particularly to keep those children with their parents, regardless of where you stand on immigration law,” Dave Willner toldNBC. Many people clearly agreed: “Reunite an immigrant parent with their child” began trending on Facebook almost immediately after the fundraising page was created.

The fundraiser’s initial $1,500 goal reflects the minimum amount needed to cover bond fees for one parent to be able to collect a child from government custody while awaiting an immigration hearing. And while the Willners’ original goal was soon surpassed, the couple didn’t expect that it would become the biggest fundraiser in the social network’s history — which at one point last week saw donations pour in at nearly $4,000 per minute

Jonathan Ryan, the executive director of RAICES, told NBC News that the funds raised are nearly three times more than their previous operating budget of seven million dollars for all of 2016. Ryan further stated that the organization is both thankful for the donations and aware of its responsibility to be transparent about how those funds are being spent, moving forward.

“We’re very serious about this undertaking and making sure that we deliver these funds transparently, in a way that will have impact and in a way that is sustainable,” he said explaining that the organization plans to use the money to pay bonds of people arrested in order to get them the ability to find their children and to set up a system to ensure that these separations don’t happen again.

(Photo via Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

The government of New Zealand, along with the country’s major broadband providers are working to silence the hate speech created by the Australian terrorist accused in Friday’s Christchurch mosque attacks. Videos of the attacks, along with a 74-page, anti-Muslim, white supremacist manifesto have been repeatedly published, and removed, from various online platforms. And, in her latest show of leadership, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has vowed to deny the shooter the notoriety he clearly wanted by refusing to mention his name.

“He is a terrorist. He is a criminal. He is an extremist,” Ardern said in an address to Parliament on Tuesday, March 19. “But he will, when I speak, be nameless.”

“And to others, I implore you,” she added, “speak the names of those who were lost, rather than the name of the man who took them. He may have sought notoriety, but we in New Zealand will give him nothing. Not even his name.”

New Zealand’s three largest internet providers, Vodaphone NZ, Spark, and 2degrees, voiced a similar perspective in an open letter to Jack Dorsey (Twitter), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), and Sundar Pichai (Google, which owns YouTube), dated March 19.

“You may be aware that on the afternoon of Friday 15 March, three of New Zealand’s largest broadband providers, Vodafone NZ, Spark and 2degrees, took the unprecedented step to jointly identify and suspend access to web sites that were hosting video footage taken by the gunman related to the horrific terrorism incident in Christchurch,” the letter reads.

The letter goes on to acknowledge how, in the global marketplace, this decisive effort at content restriction marks an “extraordinary step” in limiting access to harmful material. Yet, the leaders behind these three New Zealand broadband companies remain steadfast in the belief that taking this step was “the right thing to do.” Their letter implores the three powerful tech CEOs to consider doing the same on their respective social media platforms, as a general practice.

“Although we recognize the speed with which social network companies sought to remove Friday’s video once they were made aware of it, this was still a response to material that was rapidly spreading globally and should never have been made available online,” the letter continues. “We believe society has the right to expect companies such as yours to take more responsibility for the content on their platforms.”

The Association of New Zealand Advertisers agreed, releasing a statement explaining that local businesses would consider pulling their advertising dollars from Facebook if the company didn’t take immediate action to silence hate speech.

“The events in Christchurch raise the question — if the site owners can target consumers with advertising in microseconds, why can’t the same technology be applied to prevent this kind of content being streamed live?” the group said in a statement, according to The New York Times.

In response, Facebook VP and Deputy General Counsel, Chris Sonderby penned a blog post on the company’s site, explaining how Facebook is working to remove videos like the one the shooter uploaded while the Christchurch attack was happening.

“We removed the attacker’s video within minutes of their outreach to us, and in the aftermath, we have been providing an on-the-ground resource for law enforcement authorities,” the post says. “We will continue to support them in every way we can. In light of the active investigation, police have asked us not to share certain details.”

The Facebook blog post also outlined how Friday’s video became viral (and out of Facebook’s hands) so quickly: a user of the website 8chan posted a link to a copy of the video to a file sharing site before Facebook was even notified of the video’s existence. Sonderby also writes that the company helped other social networks identify the video to get it removed, and have been working in conjunction with the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) to be proactive about curbing terror and extremism online.

(Photo by Hagen Hopkins/Getty)

Trader Joe’s has all the best festive flavors for St. Patrick’s Day, and their shelves are undeniably stocked up with seasonal gems you won’t want to miss. From Irish-inspired cheeses to sweet treats with a lucky twist, there’s no shortage of fun (and delicious!) ways to celebrate this year. If you're looking to add some festive energy to your grocery haul, these TJ’s finds are the perfect way to get into the spirit.

Scroll on for 13 epic Trader Joe's finds you need to add to your cart for St. Patty's Day!

Trader Joe's

Kerrygold Irish Cheddar With Chili Peppers

Whether you use this spicy grass-fed cheddar for a charcuterie board, on top of steaming-hot baked potatoes, or for bite-sized grilled cheeses, your St. Patty's party will be so glad you grabbed it.

Trader Joe's

Corned Beef Brisket

Corned beef is a St. Patty's classic. This brisket comes pre-seasoned with plenty of mustard, coriander, bay leaf, red chili pepper, and dill seed for a unique, yet super familiar flavor profile.

Trader Joe's

Pie Crusts

These readymade pie crusts can be easily transformed for on-theme Shepherd's Pies and desserts alike.

Trader Joe's

Beer Bread Mix

Soda bread is another can't-miss traditional St. Patrick's Day snack, and this bread mix (where all you have to do is add beer and butter) makes enjoying the snack extremely easy. You could even top it with a medley of other ingredients to enhance a certain flavor profile.

Trader Joe's

Breaded Mozzarella Cheese Sticks

Any holiday party involving beer (AKA St. Patrick's Day) calls for some fried food. Skip the drive-thru and prep these cheesy sticks right at home for just $5!

Trader Joe's

Beef Rib Eye Steak

If grillin' is on the docket for your St. Patty's Day plans, opt for one of TJ's fancy steak cuts like this nice $15 rib eye to feed a crowd!

Trader Joe's

Soft Pretzel Twists

These soft pretzel twists are just as tasty as the bites you'd get at the stadium – salt and all!

Trader Joe's

Garlic Gondolas

These "very garlicky" bread boats can host a wide array of fillings like stews, soups, and salads. Just cut 'em up for a finger food that's definitely worthy of your St. Patrick's celebration!

Trader Joe's

Dark Chocolate Covered Caramels

When it comes to the sweet stuff, you simply can't go wrong with these dark chocolate-covered caramel bites.

Trader Joe's

Brownie Truffle Baking Mix

This brownie mix includes notes of fudgy chocolate that's sure to cure any sweet tooth. You could totally serve small bites of this using toothpicks for your party – easy!

Trader Joe's

Apple Blossoms

These apple-filled snacks are like mini apple pies: individual pastries filled with sweet, cooked apples and topped with a tasty bit of cinnamon crumble! They bake very quickly in the oven so you don't have to wait long for your St. Patty's dessert.

Trader Joe's

Yellow Mini Sheet Cake

Trader Joe's sheet cakes are perfect for sharing. Luckily, this new flavor is gluten-free, so everyone can get a taste of its moist crumb and decadent chocolate frosting.

Trader Joe's

Chocolate Hazelnut Ground Coffee

Got Irish coffee on the menu? Step it up using this chocolate-hazelnut coffee that'll enhance every single flavor note.

Subscribe to our newsletter to discover more epic Trader Joe's finds!

Last week, Kirstjen Nielsen, the Homeland Security Secretary, testified once again in front of Congress in an attempt to justify the federal government’s ongoing actions against undocumented people at the border. Among her assertions, Nielsen said that the chain-link enclosures used to hold undocumented children could not really be described as cages, and that some parents who had been separated from their children at the border were subsequently deported without their kids. These grim updates to the Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance” policy of immigrant family separation shortly preceded a report from the New York Times that revealed the extent to which family separation remains ongoing — despite a federal judge’s order to halt the practice some nine months ago.

“The latest data reported to the federal judge monitoring one of the most controversial of President Trump’s immigration policies shows that 245 children have been removed from their families since the court ordered the government to halt routine separations under last spring’s ‘zero tolerance’ border enforcement policy,” reads the March 9 Times report.

The Texas Civil Rights Project (TCRP) reports that the total number of immigrant children removed from their families since the summer of 2018 may be even higher. In the six months after Trump issued an Executive Order to end the practice, the organization interviewed nearly 10,000 immigrants and asylum-seekers who entered US border custody at or near McAllen, Texas. Through that process, the TCRP identified 272 adults who said they had been forcibly separated from one or more children under the age of 18.

“The government has admitted what we’ve known for months: they never stopped separating families who came to this country seeking safety,” Efrén C. Olivares, the Racial and Economic Justice Program Director at Texas Civil Rights Project, said in a statement made available to us. “The Trump Administration has tried every strategy it can think of in our courts to continue taking children away from their parents, with no transparency about how these decisions are made, no plan to reunite them, and no accountability.”

According to the TCRP, among the 272 adults they spoke to who said they had been separated from child family members, 38 were parents or legal guardians who reported being separated from a total of 46 children were separated. 25 of these children were reportedly under the age of 10. The youngest infant impacted was 8.5 months old at the time of separation from her mother.

“To date, the government has not reported these children to anyone — neither to the courts nor to Congress — and the government has admitted it may be impossible to find all separated children,” TCRP reports.

The TCRP report recounts an interview with a father who was allegedly separated from his seven-year-old son because of a misdemeanor conviction for battery over 10 years ago. Another father was reportedly separated from his one-year-old daughter and nine-year-old son on “uncorroborated allegations of gang affiliation.” A woman, who fled her country because she was being held captive as a sexual slave, was reportedly separated from her child because officials said she was “a danger to society and unfit to be a parent” after they learned she had shot her captor non-fatally in self-defense. The list goes on and on.

According to NBC News, immigration officials can separate children “if the adult is not the parent or legal guardian of the child” and “if the safety of the child is at risk or because of ‘serious criminal activity’ by the adult.” Legal recourse can be limited for these parents.

But there is hope. Earlier this year, we reported that several law firms including the Southern Poverty Law Center have filed a lawsuit on behalf of 10,000 detained immigrant children due to allegations of unfit facilities, illegal prolonged stays, sexual abuse, and much more.

On March 8, in a promising victory for undocumented families, US District Judge Dana Sabraw ruled in favor of a separate lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) against the Trump administration and said that “all migrant families separated during the government’s border crackdown should be included in a class-action lawsuit,” the Texas Tribunereports.

“The hallmark of a civilized society is measured by how it treats its people and those within its borders,” Sabraw wrote in a 14-page ruling. “That Defendants may have to change course and undertake additional effort to address these issues does not render modification of the class definition unfair; it only serves to underscore the unquestionable importance of the effort and why it is necessary (and worthwhile).”

(Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)

Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco have made headlines again, but now Hailey Bieber— and all the alleged drama with her — is back in the picture. We were under the impression she was excited for the couple's engagement, but one fan claims she's back at her shady behavior...and it's making people look at her sideways all over again. Here's what allegedly happened, plus what Hailey had to say about it all!

Scroll to find out if Hailey Bieber actually threw shade at Selena Gomez & Benny Blanco...

Neilson Barnard/Getty Images for Vanity Fair

Hailey Bieber can't seem to catch a break in the news. Though we reported she liked Selena Gomez & Benny Blanco's engagement post last year, there was a suggestion she may have other thoughts about them. It's no secret she and Selena allegedly aren't the best of friends, but we never would've suspected she'd do what one person claims she did.

According to TikTok creator @courtneypresto, Hailey liked a video where she admits to being "a little shady to Selena Gomez." She also shared a couple of interesting pictures of her and Benny's Interview Magazine feature with one of them showing Benny smiling while the singer's two feet are on his cheeks.

But Hailey apparently thinks the creator's claim is "fake news" because her rep told Page Six, "This never happened." To make things slightly worse, the rep also threw @courtneypresto under the bus. "This entire story has been fabricated by a content creator looking to capitalize off of an old, tired narrative." You can't see us, but this statement made us choke on our lattes.

Neilson Barnard/Getty Images for Vanity Fair

Buzzfeed reports the model also shared a personal statement on Instagram, but it's unclear who she was referring to. The message started off with, "pastors and preachers really love to put words together with the same letter and act like it's HITTING so crazy..." before she signed off with "...sh-- drives me bananas."

As for Selena & Benny? They're in their own paradise and the singer's recent post dedicated to the producer proves it. She shared a sweet Instagram carousel that captured intimate moments of their love to celebrate his birthday. "I’m not sure what I did to deserve you but damn am I glad you were born.. happy birthday baby ♥️."

Maybe Hailey Bieber liked the original shady TikTok by accident? Whatever the case, we hope the girls aren't fighting again!

Follow us on Facebook for more celebrity updates!

Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively just premiered their new movie Another Simple Favor at the 2025 SXSW Festival (you can stream it on Prime Video May 1), and aside from buzz about the movie itself, the internet is going wild for one simple reason. Anna Kendrick got a little sassy when asked what it was like to reunite with Blake for the film, and while the drama surrounding Blake's It Ends With Us legal battle didn't delay the movie, social media users can't stop talking about Anna's reaction.

Here's what Anna Kendrick said about working with Blake Lively on Another Simple Favor.

Anna Kendrick's comments about Blake Lively just went viral.

@entertainmenttonight Anna Kendrick arrives to the premiere of 'Another Simple Favor' at SXSW. #annakendrick#blakelively#anothersimplefavor♬ original sound - Entertainment Tonight

While greeting fans at the movie premiere, Anna was asked what it meant to be working with Blake again, to which Anna doesn't even stop. She just responds, "Oh, you know."

"'Oh you know' are the exact words I say when someone asks me how I am and I am barely hanging on," one TikTok user jokes in the comments, while another speculates, "I think she hates the hate Blake is getting and how the media is out to get click bait from her about it."

@varietymagazine How is the release of "Another Simple Favor" being affected by everything going on in the world? Anna Kendrick: "Why, what happened? I did ayahuasca and the last year of my life is just gone." #SXSW♬ original sound - Variety

The actress was also asked about "everything going on" (undoubtedly alluding to the It Ends With Us drama), to which Anna responded, "Why, what happened? I did ayahuasca and the last year of my life is just gone."

Anna is known for her sense of humor, and TikTok users commented saying this "was a phenomenal answer" and that she's "effortlessly funny."

Anna opened up about reuniting with Blake for the sequel, telling People in October 2024 that getting cast members from the first A Simple Favor back together again was "a little bit like riding a bike."

"She lives on the East Coast, I live on the West Coast, so we don't get to see each other often," she says. "But it was lovely, and I think that those characters have such weird chemistry that it's so fun to just get the gang back together."

And when someone tweeted that Blake Lively was "terrified to walk the carpet" and Anna Kendrick was "pissed and never wants to work with her again," director Paul Feig retweeted with a simple, "Um … you’re wrong." And I'll take his word for it.

Check out why Blake Lively's Another Simple Favor Trailer Is All About “Revenge”